Resources and Reports for the Launch Years Initiative
Launch Years is committed to a vision in which…
- every student learns rigorous and meaningful mathematics.
- the mathematics courses in every high school are intentionally designed to propel students to a postsecondary option that will in turn open the way to high value careers.
- our nation benefits from a population who has the quantitative reasoning skills to fully participate in the economy and our society.
In support of this vision, the Launch Years Initiative, partner organizations, and others supporting the initiative developed the following reports and other documents.
- Re-Envisioning Mathematics Pathways to Expand Opportunities: The Landscape of High School to Postsecondary Course Sequences – report from ESG, the Charles A. Dana Center, and Student Achievement Partners examines the available data on students’ mathematics course-taking patterns and how state policy might be influencing their decisions. Published May 2022.
- Launch Years: A New Vision for the Transition from High School to Postsecondary Mathematics – The Launch Years report identifies barriers and critical recommendations. Access the Executive Summary and Overview. Todos pueden descargar las versiones en español, El Resumen Ejecutivo. Published March 2020.
- Transition to College Mathematics Course Framework and Executive Summary– a framework that provides design principles and student learning outcomes to guide developers who are creating a 12th-grade transition course for students who have not yet met a college-readiness measure in mathematics. Published June 2020.
- Modern Algebra II Course Framework – a framework that provides the design principles and student learning outcomes, including outcomes related to social, emotional, and academic development that prepare students for success in multiple math pathways. Published May 2021.
- Data Science Course Framework – a framework that provides the design principles and student learning outcomes, including outcomes related to social, emotional, and academic development, to guide developers in creating a data science course for high school students. Published May 2021.
Tools to Use
- Launch Years On Track, On Time Tool – this tool offers strategies to help all students stay engaged in their learning and on track for graduating and progressing to the next stages in their learning and their lives. Published September 2021.
- Launch Years Initiative Resource Kit – based on the Launch Years Report, this toolkit highlights specific resources to help implement the Launch Years recommendations. Published July 2021.
- The Case for Mathematics Pathways – a Dana Center document outlining the benefits of mathematics pathways for our nation’s students. Published March 2019.
- What Is Rigor in Mathematics Really – a Dana Center brief that explores the meaning of rigor in mathematics education and offers recommendations for its implication in curriculum and instruction. Published 2019.
Research from Community College Research Center
- A Changing Paradigm in High School Mathematics – a publication from Community College Research Center (CCRC) that explores existing approaches to high school mathematics curricula as well as new developments in the field. Published November 2020.
- Improving Developmental and College-Level Mathematics: Prominent Reforms and the Need to Address Equity – a publication from Community College Research Center (CCRC) that examines current developmental mathematics education with particular regard to equity gaps, offering clear recommendations for higher education. Published November 2020.