UDLN May 2015 Retreat
Held in Washington, DC, May 19-21, 2015, this retreat provided a valuable opportunity for our members to:
- Reflect on their plans for aligning support to schools across curriculum and instruction and school supervision to ensure coherent implementation of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
- Explore the opportunities and challenges of aligning classroom assessment practices to the CCSS and implications for a district-wide comprehensive assessment strategy, as well as learn about the latest updates from the assessment consortia.
- Review the latest document from the Danielson Group, provide input on its usefulness to practitioners, and discuss the alignment of teacher evaluation with professional growth systems.
- Engage in district team action planning to ensure that strategic and systemic planning guides the professional development and implementation of the CCSS.
- Build content networks that support one another in the implementation of the CCSS.
The UMLN Network retreat sessions are listed below with links to presentations and other materials.
Wednesday, May 20th
Effective Communication and Messaging in the Era of the Common Core
Drew Westen, Founder, Westen Strategies LLC
- Talking with Teachers [pdf, 6.1MB]
- 100Kin10 New Standards Messages for Parents & General Public [pdf, 6MB]
Thursday, May 21st
Teaching Matters: Creating Conditions and Structures to Ensure All Students are Mathematically Ready for College and Careers
Katey Arrington, K-12 Services Manager, Charles A. Dana Center, University of Texas at Austin
Cathy Martin, Director of Mathematics, Denver Public Schools